In Like a Lion

March 9th, 2015 mtdesa18

Hi there, everyone!

As I write, the weather is starting to warm up a little on the Hill. Spring Break just ended and it looks like spring weather may not be far behind. The last few weeks have roared by because I have been very busy. Here are some highlights:

WE’RE #1!

In mid-February several news outlets listed Worcester as the “Snowiest City in America.” These reports confirmed what every member of the Holy Cross community already knew, that we are the best…when it comes to snow. If anyone asks you to give them empirical proof that Holy Cross is better than every other college, you can show them this article.

photo 5

VALENTINE’S DAY

On a less chilly note, Valentine’s Day was properly celebrated by those of us living in Wheeler Hall thanks to Wheeler House Council. For our February residence hall event, we coordinated a speed dating event to encourage new friendships among residents. The event worked just like any speed dating event with lighthearted questions and precious little time to give an answer. Some of my friends from House Council and I added an extra sweet touch by baking Valentine’s Day themed cupcakes with pink icing and heart shaped sprinkles. Free food and new friends, a classic combination for social event success.

photo

ALL THAT JAZZ

One of Holy Cross’ weekly entertainment events is a two hour musical performance on Tuesday nights called 10-Spot. On Fat Tuesday, the 10-Spot blended the smooth sounds of a student jazz band with the soulful voices of the Holy Cross Chamber Singers. Jazz music, (attempted) swing dancing, and classily clad performers brought a touch of New Orleans Mardi Gras to Holy Cross.

photo (1)

OSCAR PARTY

Continuing the theme of classy attire, the Wheeler resident assistant staff threw an Oscar viewing party complete with formal attire. I put on my best suit and cheered my favorite 2014 movie, The Grand Budapest Hotel, to a tie for the most Oscars received by one film. This enthusiasm, of course, made me the obvious choice to explain to my friends the merits of both the film and its eccentric director, Wes Anderson. Though The Grand Budapest did not win the award for Best Picture and though Anderson did not win the award for Best Director, the party was still a blast thanks to a red carpet, our outstanding outfits, and Sean Penn’s now infamous “green card” remark which was so blatantly inappropriate that it left the entire Wheeler Social Space in a state of hysterical disbelief.

Thanks for reading! I am looking forward to the even busier weeks ahead and to telling you all about them.

Until next time, take care, everyone.

Michael

Michael DeSantis '18